Clients who develop lymphedema after breast cancer treatment need a physician or nurse practitioner’s referral to see a Certified Lymphedema Therapist. These visits include decongestive therapy, exercises, skin care, compression bandaging and teaching the client how to look after their lymphedema at home.
Once your referral is received, you will be called to set up an appointment for an initial assessment and baseline measurements. Your appointment will be on the 6th floor (Room 608) at 400 Tache Ave.
After your initial visit with us, depending on your assessment, appointments for lymphedema therapy will be scheduled. We will work with you until your affected limb is managed and provide you support and guidance in order for you to manage independently at home.
You may also be interested in attending the group exercise program for breast cancer survivors who have lymphedema: Let’s Get Physical.
For more information:
- Before surgery: lymphedema and arm exercises video
- After breast surgery lymphedema exercises video
- Before surgery and after surgery education sessions
- Exercises to improve mobility of the arm and shoulder after breast cancer surgery
- Your guide to breast cancer related lymphedema
- Raising lymphedema Awareness – true of false activity
- The National Lymphedema Network