Health Sciences Centre: Manitoba’s Hospital
Health Sciences Centre Winnipeg (HSC) is Manitoba’s largest health-care facility, covering 39 acres of land with more than four million square feet of space.
More than 8,000 staff, physicians and volunteers care for patients. Highly-skilled interdisciplinary teams provide complex, specialist (“tertiary”) acute care, including diagnostic, outpatient and inpatient services to adults and children across Manitoba, north-western Ontario and Nunavut.
HSC is a Shared Health facility, and is Manitoba’s provincial tertiary centre for trauma, transplants, burns, neurosciences, complex cancer care and pediatric care. Every clinical hospital-based service available in the province is offered at HSC, with the exception of cardiac surgery and eye surgery. This means the majority of Manitobans’ tertiary care is provided here, regardless of which community our patients call home.
HSC is also a teaching hospital, formally affiliated with the University of Manitoba and other post-secondary institutions. Students learn from us at the bedside or in the lab, and many of our staff teach and conduct research at these institutions.
HSC is accredited by the Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation.
Visit www.hsc.mb.ca to find campus directories and maps, and information for patients and visitors about the facility and its services.
- HSC is Manitoba’s largest health care facility, covering 39 acres of land with more than four million square feet of occupied space (campus map and parking info)
- At HSC we care for adults and children, and the campus includes the HSC Women’s Hospital and HSC Children’s Hospital
- More than 8,000 people work here (work at HSC)
- We are a major referral centre for the sickest and most critically injured people
- The largest and busiest emergency departments (Adult and Children) in the province are at HSC, with 115,000+ visits per year and 330+ patients per day
- HSC heliport (the first hospital-based heliport in Manitoba) receives critical patients requiring helicopter transport
- The New HSC Women’s Hospital opened on Dec. 1, 2019 (info sheet)