Shared Health’s Transfusion Medicine discipline is responsible for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all blood bank and cross-match operations, development of utilization management strategies and implementation of new products/initiatives.
The discipline works collaboratively with external partners such as Canadian Blood Services (CBS), Manitoba Health, Regional Health Authorities and health care professionals to ensure best practices within the province.
In Winnipeg, Shared Health’s Transfusion Medicine services are limited to blood bank services as cross-matching is done by CBS. In rural areas and Brandon, Shared Health is responsible for both blood bank services and cross-matching. The discipline is responsible for overall education of clinical and laboratory staff in best practices and appropriate utilization.
- 160-INV-07 Receiving Blood Blood Components and Derivatives
- 160-INV-07A Receipt of Blood ALL
- 160-INV-07B Receipt of Blood Components ALL
- 160-INV-07C Receipt of Derivatives ALL
- 160-INV-11 Temperature Check of Blood and Thawed Components on Receipt
- 160-INV-12 Visual Inspection of blood Blood components and Derivatives
- 160-INV-14 Issuing of Blood, Blood Components and Derivatives/Handling Returned Issued Product Within a Facility
- 160-INV-15 Issuing Return of Previously Issued Blood Components
- 160-INV-16 Issuing Plasma Protein Product/Return within a Facility Previously Issued Plasma Protein Product
- 160-INV-17 Transport of Blood and Derivatives
- 160-INV-18 Inter-facility Shipping of Blood, Blood Components and Plasma Protein Product
- 160-INV-19 Documenting Final Disposition
- 160-MP-01 Patient Identification and Specimen Procurement
- 160-MP-02 Specimen Acceptance, Rejection and Suitability
- 160-QC-05 Temperature Monitoring Blood, Blood Component & Plasma Protein Product (Derivative) Storage Equipment
- 160-QC-13 Alarm Response Malfunction
Best Blood Manitoba
Best Blood Manitoba is an initiative of the Manitoba Provincial Transfusion Practice Advisory Committee to provide accessible and current information on blood for patients and healthcare providers. Shared Health’s diagnostic services and our Transfusion Medicine team play an important role in this initiative, also working with medical and nursing staff, Blood Conservation Services and Canadian Blood Services to meet Best Blood Manitoba’s vision of a vein-to-vein transfusion practice service that supports rational and safe transfusion practices for all Manitobans.
The Best Blood Manitoba website is a resource and reference on the subject of Transfusion Medicine.